Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Oh Happy Day!

I have been waiting a REALLY long time to announce this - mostly because I kept expecting it to somehow not work out at the last second - but now there's real actual proof so I can proudly say that I am PUBLISHED in the new issue of "Stringing" magazine!!

Check it out:




If you look REALLY closely, you can see a partial section of one of my necklaces - right below the "g" in Stringing - the sort of aqua-ish rondelles with the strand of tiny purple crystals crossing it and the brown/white shell rounds. Also, if you check the Table of Contents page, you'll see my name THREE times along with some small snippet pics of my designs. I've got three necklaces, a bracelet and a pair of earrings in this issue.

Uh...can you tell I'm a little excited about this?

Not only did I get this great news this morning, but I woke up to see a BUNCH of sales in my Be Resinable shop. Apparently, incessant blogging plus a lot of whining, crying, bitching and moaning is an effective marketing technique. I do think it's funny that none of what I consider the "pretty, artier" beads sold. Nope. Bottlecaps and resined glitter.

I'm not the only person hopelessly stuck in her trashtastic 12-year-old memories. Awesome.

Even the Fusion Beads resin order debacle has worked out - and it only took THREE phone calls on my part. I am not BFF's with their customer service department LOL! Originally, they told me that they were out of stock on the resin so it would be a week or more before the could replace the order. Because of the delay (and my new obsession which demands that I resin everything I can get my hands on and people, that requires a LOT of resin), I requested a refund which I was then going to use to buy the resin at a different vendor.

So, that was Friday. By Monday, no refund. Checked again yesterday...still no refund. Called Fusion again. The refund was never processed but, funniest thing, they now have resin back in stock and would I like my order replaced.

Ummm...lemmeee think....YES!

And yes, I did get a shipping confirmation so I know it's actually on its way to me.

I'm sure you all are THRILLED that I am getting more resin. I can actually HEAR all the eye rolling going on out there. Yes, I'm talking about you. You there in the corner. I saw that.

But, while we wait for the magical deliciousness that is the resin to arrive, how about some new jewelry?





I felt like it was time for a bracelet because I haven't done very many lately. Then I saw this gorgeous bracelet bar piece at Summer's Studio on Etsy and it was the perfect focal to start with.





I added a cute polymer clay bird charm from Floridity, some carved angelskin coral flower beads, seafoam faceted quartz rondelles, Swarovski pearls and some brass chain.





I also added this cute little brass bird link and a tiny pearl dangle - just for a special touch and to keep the "bird" theme going.





This...was an afterthought. The clasp area was looking a little barren and this was kind of sitting on my work surface mocking me so I caved. And now that I'm having the after after after thoughts, I'm thinking it needs to go. What are you thinking?






This design is all about the incredible indigo patinated chain from Miss Fickle Media.







I deliberately kept the rest of the design super-simple so this chain could be the star - because it definitely deserves to be!





This copper metal filigree heart was the perfect focal for this piece.



This is probably the most beautiful set of lampwork beads I've gotten to play with so far. The colors are incredible and I particularly appreciated how the beads were definitely part of a "set" but they don't match exactly. Each one is an individual. That made it really easy for me to get out of my matchy-matchy comfort zone.







The hardest part was coming up with a design that was "worthy" of them without overpowering them and losing their beauty. Some simple patinated brass rings from Patina Queen and matching brass chain seemed like a good start. (Actually, I had planned to go with gold for this design but it was just too bright - the brass is warmer and richer).







Some cobalt/gold Chinese crystal spacers, deep purple jade rondelles, teal enamel beads from Barbara Lewis at Painting with Fire added great accents.






I kept the clasp simple so the focus stays on all the incredible beads. Plus, I wanted the length on this to be adjustable and the hook/chain combo allows for that.





It was hard to get a decent picture of the entire necklace on this one - I definitely need a new bust or mannequin (thanks to Keirsten for giving me a line on a possibility!)

All in all...a good day so far!

I'm hoping the same for all of you!
KJ



21 comments:

Barbara Bechtel said...

Congratulations! That IS SO exciting! I can't wait to pick up the mag!!!!!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Congrats on being published - that is awesome!
I can't wait to see what you resin next when you finally receive your order.
I really like the patina chain necklace - I love MissFickleMedia's chain.
Your final necklace is super - those beads are fabulous!

steufel said...

Wow, cool stuff. I love the last necklace. And congrats on being published! regards Stefanie

Cynthia said...

I'm glad fusion beads came through with the Ice Resin. Otherwise, who knows what drastic measures you might have resorted to!!
Love the lampwork necklace - those beads are sooo delicious looking! And I love the dark brass with the aquas. Beautiful!

TesoriTrovati said...

Ahh...I remember the rush of my first Stringing magazine. There is nothing like it, darling! I can't wait to get my hands on the copy. (I was told that my piece from the Soft Flex contest will be in their full page ad, so it is just like I will be in there as well!) I will be oohing and aahing soon I hope!
I love those last two. That heart is beautiful and the glass is really special. And the little charm from Floridity. I will have to check them out. Congrats, KJ! Enjoy the day!
Erin

Susan Marling said...

Congratulations on being published - can't wait to see! That necklace is stunning - you are right about the beads - they are some of the prettiest I have seen. What are you going to do with the necklace is what I want to know?

Jen Judd said...

I love hearing about your resin adventures. I just tried my hand at ICE over the weekend. Not too much drama! haaaaaaaa

I'm gonna be in the summer issue, too!! It's like a little party on beading daily...I'm doing a special post with you, me, and Heather all linked up.

Congrats!!!
Jen

SummersStudio said...

Whoo, Hoo! That is a fantastic amount of design you've got going into Stringing. You know I can't wait ;-) I like the dragonfly on the bracelet. Makes it a sort of garden party. I knew you'd know just what to do with the connector. That chain that Shannon makes is beautiful and I think showing it off in a simple design is perfect.

The Joy of Nesting said...

WOOOOOOO HOOOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to go Little Miss!!!!!! You have work so hard to get to this point and you should be soooooo proud!!! For sure your kindred sisters are pretty darn proud of your accomplishments!!!

But you know there are a few of us that would be very happy if you will scan and post your published pieces on your blog!!! Some of us (yes well that would be me) are many many miles from a vendor for Stringing mag! :( You can't leave us in the dark K????

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

lunedreams said...

Congrats on the notoriety!! I am officially inducting you into my So-Famous-It's-Wrong Club. KEEP THE BUG!!! Love the bug. And yes, the darker metal was the way to go with those luscious blue beads.

Congrats again!!! (And I knew you'd sell the heck out of your resin. And yes, Fusion Beads is painfully slow in every aspect of their service. If the shipping wasn't "free" I'd be really mad. All the time.)

Barbara Lewis said...

Congratulations, Kelly! You're a cover girl! I was looking at your jewelry and scrolling down ... and thinking "I just love that bracelet with LeAnn's ceramic pieces" and then I saw what you did with my beads. Awesome! Very rich ... it looks like something you could wear with everything! The beads are on the way. You should have them by tomorrow ... if not already.

Mary Harding said...

Congratulations on being in Stringing Magazine. That is just the best. My favorite mag. What a thrill.

Kristen said...

Congratulations on the publication!!! I'll be getting a copy of it soon! Love the first bracelet, and I'm NOT a pink person. Beautiful job!

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

Congratulations on being published! Your jewelry is gorgeous!

Michelle said...

Woo-Hoo! Congrats on Stringing! Can't wait to get my copy. Love all of the new jewelry pieces. I think the charm by the clasp on the bracelet is too heavy...but LOVE the color combo! You go girl!
Bead Happy!
Michelle

dochoamom said...

Congratulations Kelly!! you deserve it. I love the bracelet and the necklace...

Deb

Paige said...

Congrats on the magazine, KJ!! Stringing is one of my faves! I can't wait to get it!

I love the new bracelet and necklaces. Gorgeous!


And I can't wait to see your next resin pieces. Honestly!

chacha1 said...

Congratulations, well done!

Love the blue lampwork necklace, too. :-)

Pretty Things said...

Congratulations, and the new jewelry is lovely!

Unknown said...

First of all...YAY! This is totally awesome! I am definitely going to check this issue out. I can't wait to see you on the glossy pages of a an awesome zine!!!

And second, soooo funny "resin everything I can get my hands on" I totally did this when I discovered ice resin. Once you see how wonderful it cures, you want to preserve everything in it.

And lastly, you made that chain look gorgeous! And they way you strung those lamp work beads down the middle of the second necklace, magnificent presence!

Love your work!

Amy F said...

Fruit Stripe! OMG totally! That gum had the best flavor, but it lasted 3 seconds! Love the filigree too!