Tuesday, August 02, 2011

New and Re-do

After posting this bracelet last week, I realized that the clasp was bugging me even more than it had originally...so it had to go.

I changed it out for a pretty sterling silver toggle set with a gray freshwater pearl. Unfortunately, that meant the overall length was off so something else had to go as well. As much as I loved the mother-of-pearl donut (and don't even get me started on how difficult wrangling the wire onto that particular component was) in the design, it just never seemed to quite "work."

I think sometimes I get so enamored of using a certain bead or component in a design that I try to force it in even when it's obvious that it's not working. Either I don't want to waste the wire or other materials that taking it apart will require or I don't want to admit to myself that my "really super cool" original idea...just ain't that cool after all.

Any way, the MOP donut had to go.





I feel like it's a little less unique now, but it's more balanced.





And the toggle is much prettier than the lobster claw.





So, that was my "re-do" for the weekend.

And now here's the "new":





I attended the Pasadena Bead & Design show on Saturday (more on that in a future post) and one of my favorite vendors from the past few visits there was in attendance: Loot! Her recycled glass pieces have been making their way into my hoard for a while now and after buy yet more of them on Saturday I decided I really HAD to break some of them out and get something made.





So, these are my "Blue Moon Bling" earrings. Tiny white pearls, a couple of different shades of Swarovski crystals, and lots of dripping chain - these came out just the way I pictured them in my head. I love it when that happens!

In other news, I've started listing the new resin at Be Resinable and I've even got some of the new jewelry going up in my Silver Parrot shop so be sure to stop by and check things out.

KJ

2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

I think that works reallly well. Being unique is overrated. Everyone is unique. I would rather be balanced.
;-)

Isn't LOOT awesome! I met her at the Bead & Button show and bought a few things. So cool to recyle the glass that would otherwise be discarded.

Enjoy the day!
Erin

SummersStudio said...

First, I really like the bracelet redesign. The clasp is perfect. I love those earings. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they somehow remind me of water. Maybe, it's the chain against the blue makes me think of rain showers.