Thursday, January 30, 2014

Keepin' It Goin'

I'm still getting caught posting pics of my extended beading spree.  Gosh, it feels so good to be creative again.  Can't believe how much I missed this!
 


 
 
This bracelet features etched lampwork beads from Outwest, shiny copper Mykonos ceramic disks and Chinese crystals.  While they are not as high quality as Swarovski, you can't beat them for sparkle or for price.  The toggle is patinated copper from Patricia Healy.


 
 
I liked the look so much that I did it in another color-way using beads from the same lampwork vendor, matte black ceramic spacers, and I swapped out the copper for touches of gold. 


 
 
The clasp...was a mistake. I thought it would be kind of cool to have a black clasp and I had this carved and dyed tagua nut toggle in my stash, but once I took the photos, I realized it wasn't nice enough stand up to the rest of the beads and that it kind of dominated the design in a way I didn't like. I have since replaced it with a vermeil toggle and it looks much better. It's funny how sometimes I have to "live with" a design or even see it in a photo for a while before I notice something that's bugging me.
 
 
 
 
Never one to miss the opportunity to beat a good idea into the ground, I made a necklace, too.  This time, I added in some deep-teal-encased-in-clear lampwork beads along with the etched beads from Outwest. 
 

 
 
The bright copper pops so well against this color!
 

 
 
Chinese crystals, copper daisy spacers, and seed beads are the accents.
 

 
 
Copper chain finishes off the back half of the necklace and I added a small copper toggle clasp and a wire-wrapped dangle for an extra touch.
 

 
 
I remember when I bought this focal from Summer's Studio thinking that it would be a challenge for me because of the color scheme, but that turquoise lampwork disk was sitting on my workstation left over from anothe project and happened to roll next to the focal and as soon as that happened, I was off to the races with this design!
 
 
 
 
The focal really is stunning with that dark chocolate background.
 

 
 
I love these orange crackle agate barrels.  Great shape and they really glow like they are molten.
 

 
 
Here's that lampwork disk that started it all.
 

 
 
I finished off the back half with dyed nut barrels in a yellow-beige color that matches the sunflowers on the focal PERFECTLY. 

 
 
 
A little bit of chain makes the length adjustable and I added this cute bronze dragonfly charm (also from Summer's Studio) as a special accent.
 
 
KJ

1 comment:

Shai Williams said...

Just love that last necklace! I just love how looking at beautiful jewelry will cause a bell to ring. I have all kinds of metal seed beads but I never even thought about using them in a loop for the discs I have hoarding.