Thursday, April 17, 2014

On a Wing

I made these earrings more than a week ago, but I've been so busy with the set-up for the contest, the Bead Soup Blog hop and the Earrings Everyday monthly challenge that I only just now found time to photograph and post them:




You wouldn't think it would be that hard to get on pair of earrings onto the blog. 




I found these butterfly wing components on line about a month ago and swooned over them so much that I bought a bunch of them in different sizes and color combinations.  They are wood covered with paper and resin.




One of my struggles as a designer is the fact that I am attracted to anything that is bright or glittered or really embellished, which then doesn't leave much room for me putting an additional spin on it.  If I add too much to any of that...I get instant tacky.  But, if I don't add enough, then I didn't really create a design so much as slap a couple of beads together.




Hopefully, I walked that line successfully here by adding JUST enough.  I really wanted the wings to shine on their own and it seemed like black Mykonos ceramic disks and vintage German red glass rondelles would be just enough to echo the patterns and colors in the wings without taking them over the top.

Some of the other wings I bought have more subdued color schemes so I might be able to go a little wilder with them - we'll see.  In the meantime, I'm really lovin' these and am going to have to fight a battle with myself about putting them on Etsy or keeping them.

KJ

1 comment:

Shai Williams said...

I think that you struck the balance perfectly. They are beautiful earrings.