Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Wild Bird Wednesday

For this week's post, I chose some photos from another day that I spent at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary.  I just can't get enough of that place and I see at least one new bird, butterfly or animal every time I go (plus it's on my way home from work so when I only have a short window of time to play it's the perfect spot to stop):


 
 
Killdeer at the water's edge.

 
 
 
This was a better angle of the bird...not so crazy about the grass poking up in the foreground.  I'm afraid my Photoshop skills don't extend to removing unwanted elements yet...


 
 
I really like American Avocets - such great plumage and they really work hard for their food.  Constantly swinging that curved bill back and forth through the water.  I have to appreciate all that effort.
 

 
 
This one still has mud dripping off his bill.
 

 
 
I liked the reflection of the bird in this shot.
 

 
 
I nearly always see this Great Blue Heron in the same spot.  If he's not there when I first walk by, he'll inevitably show up sometime before I leave.  A couple of times he's buzzed right over my head and barely missed me with his wings.  It's amazing that a bird so large can get into the air.
 
 
KJ
 
 
http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/2015/08/wild-bird-wednesday-159-gannet.html

 










8 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Three lovely birds and very good shots with some reflections of them

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty variety of birds and photos. I love the cute killdeer and the Avocet. Great capture of the Heron! Enjoy your day!

mick said...

Great photos and beautiful birds. I especially like the Avocet.

Lea said...

Love Killdeers and Great Blue Herons. We see them here a lot. The Avocet is a new bird for me. Very interesting!

Adam Jones said...

I do like the American Avocet. Something looks very peaceful about the bird. Great pictures.

Pat Ulrich said...

wonderful shots of the shorebirds -- especially the avocet with its reflection! That's a species I really miss having the chance to photograph after moving back east

A Colorful World said...

Beautiful shots! What a great place to stop on the way home from work!

betty-NZ said...

What a wonderful place for birds. Your photos are really great. You captured their colors quite well.