Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Wild Bird Wednesday - Green Heron

Last summer, I came around a corner and surprised this beautiful Green Heron.  Usually, when I do that, the bird flies off, but this one was cooperative and stayed to pose for a while.




These birds have such beautiful colors and markings...




...and yet they still blend perfectly into their environment.




Even the orange legs don't look out of place.




They are also able to freeze into stillness for such long periods of time and then move ever so slowly while stalking prey...and then BAM! they strike like lightning.

KJ




11 comments:

FAB said...

Very good pics of this colouful Heron.

Findlay Wilde said...

Just look at the size of those feet! Stunning pictures.

Hootin Anni said...

With such bright colored orange in the feet/legs, I'm thinking it's coming into breeding season! Great images.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Beautiful shots ... and I have seen that "BAM" and it can startle you even when you know it is coming.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I/m pretty sure I read that Green Herons were the American Birding Association's bird of the year last year. We see them here in Florida occasionally and I am always thrilled when we do! Herons are such studies of patience. I have tried to wait them out -- just watching and trying to catch that moment when they strike, but it is so hard and I am so impatient. Your pictures are stunning.

Phil Slade said...

Very nice pics. I think herons are amongst the most photogenic birds.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the Green Heron is one of my favorite herons. Great post and photos.

Lea said...

Lovely!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Lovely series of shots of the Green Heron

Anu said...

What a fantastic photos of Green Herons!

Stewart M said...

Great shot! I often wonder why some birds are more cooperative than others - and end up wishing more were!

cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne